Far From Dead
Please Login to the Far From Dead Community
Far From Dead (FFD) Founders:
FFD| InFaMouS UnDeaD
FFD| PedoBear
FFD| Cobalt
FFD| Ep1dem1c
Far From Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1972 Jeep CJ.5

4 posters

Go down

1972 Jeep CJ.5 Empty 1972 Jeep CJ.5

Post  Cobalt Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah. Forum is dead so i figured I'd start a topic. We bought, on Saturday morning at 8:30 AM, a 1972 Jeep CJ.5. Very nice jeeps, you can do anything with it due to it's body style having so much potential. It's got 4 wheel drive with pozi in the rear (Spelling? AKA: a locker, both rear tires spin together). The engine is (If i remember correctly, i may be wrong here) a 403 V8. Meaning with this engine, short wheel base, 4wheel drive with the locker, this mother fucker, will go absolutely, anywhere. And like my uncle said, if this thing had enough traction, it would climb straight up a fucking tree.

We bought it on Saturday, with the gastank missing, carburetor non-operating (Float in it was fucked, it would flood every time the jeep idled), the rear brakes were fucked (Due to them being drum brakes, they required springs to keep them away from the outer drums, and hitting the emergency brake would push them together, but a spring to keep them apart was broken, and made it so that they were constantly rubbing) Among other things, like the gas pump was not operating (Turned out something as simple as a couple of hoses being backwards was all that was wrong), no brake fluid whatsoever, and spark plugs being filled with so much gunk they wouldn't fire (Due to the carb flooding every time it started). But me and my dad, with only two days, got the gas tank installed, carb fixed, rear drum brakes fixed with a 7 dollar kit from checkers, gas pump working correctly, brake lines bled out and new brake fluid installed, and spark plugs cleaned, as well as cleaning the whole jeep and taking the top and doors off (That was a 10 minute job but whatever). Today, we plan on re-painting the rollcage, front and back pumpers, and metal around the windshield black, as it was stock back in 72. the original orange paintjob we plan on sanding down, and painting over with some nice, competition orange. It'll look beast as hell. Among other things we have planned for it, like making bumpers etc. to go on it, we plan on cutting down and crafting brackets and blocks out of metal, to install our own 2 1/2 inch lift on it (Go any taller and it starts to get tippy, we don't want it to roll) and stick some good, offroad tires on it (Dunno what size yet).

Everything is stock and well maintained since it was bought in 1972 in Germany, with the exception of the 21 gallon gas tank he bought to install, but never did. But, it has sat for 21 years, hence the troubles we needed to go through. It had only one owner, in which we bought it from, with the exception of the 21 gallon gas tank he bought to install, but never did.

I took some pictures of before we started with anything, and will include them if you want. After we paint it i will take pictures again as an update, and again, upload if anyone wants them. Maybe even a video Surprised This baby purrs when it's idling and sounds like a beast, and when you floor it, it fucking screams. We took it for a test drive after we got everything working and it's fun as hell.

So there is my story. Will update when something new happens or when we do something, or when someone wants an update.
Cobalt
Cobalt
Admin

Back to top Go down

1972 Jeep CJ.5 Empty Re: 1972 Jeep CJ.5

Post  markhoppus Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm

pics or it didnt happen?
markhoppus
markhoppus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobalt Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:08 pm

http://tinypic.com/a/wsbo/4

Some pics in there are of some damage it had that we buffed out or whatever...

So today we gave it an extensive bath and sanded everything down, then got 98% of the way through painting the rollcage black, when we ran out of paint. Dad is picking some more cans up tomorrow so we can finish the cage and bumpers, etc. After that, I'll take some more pics. Today we also tinkered with the carb a bit more, and the spark plugs (Did a compression check on them). We also filled the tires up with air to make it drivable (They are gauged at 50 PSI, but were only filled with 10 pounds of air!!) So uh...yeah. I think that's pretty much all we did today, took a good few hours though.

When we finish painting the black parts I'll get more pics. (As it is in the pics it looks like some shitty, ugly safari vehicle, we know. We took the top off and threw it in the back yard (Not literally, it weights almost 200 pounds) with the doors (that i forgot to take pics of...) and it looks like a totally different vehicle now, and i must say, it already looks extremely bad ass with just the rollcage being repainted jet black.)

Click on the pics, and then right click-view image to get an extremely large 3072 x 2304 high def version, just because my camera is bad ass that way.

Except i just noticed that tinypic resized them to 1600x1200...assholes. I've got original size saved onto my computer, you don't need them that big but if you want higher quality, lemme know where i can upload photos that big and i will.
Cobalt
Cobalt
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  InFaMouS UnDeaD Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:01 am

lol nice
InFaMouS UnDeaD
InFaMouS UnDeaD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ep1dem1c Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:52 am

Thats cool, nice font color, its almost like you got that idea from me? : o Paint that shit because it looks terrible lawl, but yeah, NC State is BORING AS FUCK, the kids are cool but like its terrible, sitting for hours hearing lectures FML much?
Ep1dem1c
Ep1dem1c
Admin

http://myspace.com/best2nr

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobalt Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

This is the same color I've been using, ever since i joined up on the UV forums.
Cobalt
Cobalt
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum